For those wondering what penile implant surgery will be like, the good news is that it does not necessarily have to be difficult or painful. The procedure itself will vary based on the type of penile implant being used by your doctor. You’ll talk about this with your physician well in advance of your procedure. Keep in mind that many urologists conduct these procedures regularly and can give you the peace of mind you need going into the procedure.
What Happens Post-Op?
After the surgical procedure, you’ll find you have some bruising and swelling present. This will get better with each passing day during your recovery. Most often, the swelling and bruising occurs on the scrotum. Your doctor and nurses will provide you with specific care instructions for bandaging and wound care. Follow these exactly to avoid the risk of infection occurring. Most patients will find that they are a little tired after the procedure as well. Be sure to talk to your doctor about what types of activities you should avoid during this healing period. You may need to rest or you may need some time off work depending on your occupation. Follow these instructions to give yourself the best possible outcome.
What to Expect During Recovery
Most of the time, it will take between a week and two weeks for the swelling to go away completely though it will get better with each day. Taking a warm bath during the day, but not before the third day post-op, can help with significant swelling. This can also help any pain go away. Keep the following in mind:
- You’ll need to spend most of the first two days in bed on your back.
- Your doctor may recommend taking several supervised walks including from that initial surgery day to help prevent blood clots.
- Moderate activity can begin, usually after three days.
- You may need pain medication after the procedure. Your doctor will give you a prescription for it in most cases, in advance of your procedure so you have it on hand.
- You’ll have stitches removed about 2 weeks after the procedure.
Recovery after surgery from penile implants takes time. Allow your body to heal properly. This can help to avoid infections and complications later on. It also gives your body the best opportunity at the results you desire. Talk to our top-rated Manhattan, New York urologist today to discuss your case.