One of the biggest reasons so many men consider penile implant surgery is because it is a minimally invasive procedure. There are several types of procedures that fit this specific treatment. For men who are looking for a way to improve sexual performance, the goal is to use a penile implant that’s as functional as possible and as natural looking and feeling as possible. You will work closely with your doctor to determine the right solutions for your unique needs. However, most of these procedures are minimally invasive, which means that they carry fewer risks.
What Does It Mean That the Surgery Is Minimally Invasive?
Unlike open surgery in which a large incision occurs, most penile implant surgeries, and even corrections if they are ever needed, are minimally invasive. What does this mean to you?
- It means the procedure is likely to be short. Most procedures only take about 20 minutes to complete. This means you do not have to be under general anesthesia for very long – a very important safety component.
- The incision is small. The doctor will make an incision in the penis but it is generally about 4 cm in length. This means there is less risk for complications, significant bleeding, or infection than larger surgeries.
- The recovery time is short. Most men are able to get back to work within a few days. You generally will go home after having the procedure completed as well.
- There’s less damage to the tissues within the penis. This helps to minimize the risks of complications later on from the procedure.
- The pain and discomfort are minimally. When using this procedure, doctors are able to make the process as easy as possible for you.
Most often, minimally invasive procedures like this give you the best possible outcome. Recovery from this procedure usually only takes a few weeks. You may be able to be sexually active again within a month. And, scarring, if it is present at all, is minimal. For all of these reasons, and because the surgical risks themselves are minimal, many men benefit from having this form of penile implant surgery.
Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Discuss the options available to you for correcting your underlying problem. When you come to see our penile implant specialist and licensed urologist in our Manhattan office, you’ll get exceptional care and treatment throughout your procedure.
Call us at 212-541-6239 to schedule an appointment.