Having penile implant surgery can be a life changing experience. This procedure is not as invasive as others and it can allow men to get back to sexual activity within a few weeks. Yet, it is a surgery and it does require time to heal. There are many things your doctor will tell you about what to expect from this procedure but by far the most important is that you’ll need to give yourself time to heal and recover from it to ensure you have the best possible outcome.
How Long Does Penile Implant Surgery Recovery Take?
Every person’s needs are somewhat different. You can expect this procedure, though, will require some down time. Most men are able to go home the same day of the procedure, but others may need to stay the night at the hospital. Once you are home, most men are able to be back to work within two to three days. This gives the penile implant time to heal and for you to overcome the impact of anesthesia. Be sure to follow your doctor’s specific recommendations here.
Full recovery usually takes between two and three weeks. Then, it can take up to one month from your procedure to be sexually active.
How to Ensure You Heal Well
Keep these tips in mind when it comes to healing and overcoming the limitations of penile implant surgery:
- Follow your doctor’s orders especially for the first few days.
- You may have swelling and bruising the first few days. Try to minimize the amount of walking you do to allow this to return to normal.
- Don’t be alone after the procedure. You’ll need someone to help you to walk and move from place to place.
- Eat a healthy, nutritious diet after the procedure. Give your body the nutrients it needs to overcome the surgery.
- Don’t try to use or otherwise adjust the implant unless your doctor tells you to do so specifically.
Most importantly, listen to your doctor’s recommendations for you. This is the best way to avoid potential complications and to get yourself back to feeling good again. Talk to our offices today to discuss what you can expect from this procedure. Our penile implantation specialist in our Manhattan office can help you to get the care you need and to ensure you have the very best outcome possible in your situation.
Call us at 212-541-6239 to schedule a consultation.