What Is Premature Ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation occurs when a man ejaculates sooner during sexual intercourse than he or his partner desires. Premature ejaculation is a common sexual complaint, 1 out of 3 men say they experience this problem at some time. Although it may cause embarrassment, as long as it happens infrequently, it’s not cause for concern. But when it happens frequently, it’s important to evaluate the symptoms to find the best treatment as soon as possible.
Premature Ejaculation Symptoms
- Men who have actual cases of premature ejaculation suffer from the following symptoms:
- Ejaculation always or nearly always happens within one minute of penetration
- Cannot delay ejaculation during intercourse all or most of the time
- Avoids sexual intimacy due to frustration from ejaculating too soon
Causes of Premature Ejaculation
The exact cause of premature ejaculation isn’t known. It was once thought to be only psychological, doctors now know that premature ejaculation is more complicated and involves both psychological and biological factors.
Some doctors believe that early sexual experiences may establish a pattern that leads to premature ejaculation:
- Situations in which a man hurried to reach climax in order to avoid being discovered or getting “caught”
- Guilty feelings that increase a tendency to rush through sexual encounters
Additionally, current life issues can cause premature ejaculation:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Relationship problems
A number of biological factors may contribute to premature ejaculation, including:
- Abnormal hormone levels and brain chemicals (neurotransmitters)
- Thyroid problems or disease
- Abnormal reflex activity of the ejaculatory system
- Inflammation and infection of the prostate or urethra
- Inherited traits
- Nerve damage from surgery or trauma (rare)
Risk Factors and Complications of Premature Ejaculation
Various factors can increase your risk of premature ejaculation, including:
- Erectile dysfunction. Men who often have trouble getting or maintaining an erection may be at an increased risk of premature ejaculation.
- Health problems. If you have a serious or chronic medical condition you may feel nervous during sex and may rush to ejaculate.
- Stress. Emotional or mental strain in any area of your life can limit your ability to relax and focus during sexual activity.
While premature ejaculation alone doesn’t increase your risk of health problems, it can cause significant problems in your personal life, including stress and relationship problems and fertility issues. Premature ejaculation can make fertilization difficult or impossible for couples who are trying to conceive a child.
Treatment for Premature Ejaculation
Premature ejaculation is a common and treatable problem. For some men, a medical consultation with their doctor may help alleviate concerns about premature ejaculation and help find the best treatment option such as:
· Behavioral techniques
· The pause-squeeze technique
· Topical anesthetics
· Oral medications
Suffering from premature ejaculation can be frustrating and may be symptomatic of underlying health issues. Contact us today to schedule a medical consultation to discuss your treatment options with the best Penile Implant Surgery doctor in NYC.